Discussion Column is intended to organize conversation in the list item without need to enable list versioning. Component allows entering rich text with formatting, images, tables, hyperlinks, etc.
Actually Discussion is similar to an IM message system: many users are able to create rich-text messages, but there is no ability to modify previous messages. As IM, discussion control can show who and when has published post (configured in column settings).
Useful thing is that it is possible to show all conversations in list view or just a hyperlink to "View Item" form. It is helpfull when discussion has many items and page becomes congested.
You can also arrange your comments in chronological or reverse chronological order. User signature could be displayed on top or bottom of an entry.
- Organizing discussion without enabling list versioning
- Comments editing
- Filtering of empty records
- Ability to show whole discussion history or only link to it in list view
- Show user name as a link to user profile page
- Display posts in chronological or reverse chronological order
- Choosing position of user signature
- Import data (text) from existing SharePoint Multiple lines of text column
- Language pack support (desired localization could be added by request)
Why ArtfulBits Discussion Column?
It is possible to use standard SharePoint "Multiple lines of text" column with "Append Changes to Existing Text" option for organizing discussion, but:
- Versioning of a list has to be turned on
- New version is created each time items are edited
Even if you edit item, new record will be displayed in discussion history, whether it is empty or not.
ArtfulBits Discussion Column resolves these problems and avoids list versioning, also it does not append empty records to discussion history.
Discussion Column for SharePoint is a free trial software application from the Components & Libraries subcategory, part of the Development category.
The app is currently available in English, German, Ukrainian and it was last updated on 2013-04-22. The program can be installed on Windows2003.
Discussion Column for SharePoint (version 2.0) has a file size of 1.98 MB and is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 7044 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.